Electricity prices were increased in Sudan on Friday (Jan. 1) by 433% amid the country's ongoing economic crisis, according to the Sudanese finance ministry on Saturday.
Since last year, the government had been planning to incrementally lift state subsidies on fuel and electricity in order to overcome the economic crisis.
Sudan currently produces 2,220 megawatts (MW) of electricity. However, the African country, which has a population of 41.8 millions, requires 3,020 MW in order to meet needs of its domestic market. In order to make up for the shortfall, the country imports 200 MW from Ethiopia and 78 MW from Egypt.
The current shortfall of more than 500 MW leads to frequent power outages throughout the country.
In 2011, South Sudan, which had accounted for some 75% of the country’s oil reserves, seceded from northern neighbor, leaving Khartum with only about 25% of its original oil reserves.