Yemen floods death toll rises to 174
Majority of fatalities recorded in eastern Marib province, according to official sources
Death toll from floods caused by heavy rains in Yemen has risen to 174.
At least 40 deaths were reported in the government-controlled areas in the last three weeks due to adverse weather conditions in the country, the government sources said on Wednesday.
Two-thirds of those who lost their lives are from the eastern Marib city, sources said, adding that flooding left many others injured.
Previously, Houthis announced that floods killed 134 people and injured 124 others in the Sanaa province.
Dozens of Yemenis have died in the last few weeks because of heavy floods that hit several provinces.
Yemen has been devastated by a conflict that escalated in March 2015 after Iran-backed Houthi rebels seized the capital Sanaa and forced President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi to flee the country.
The conflict has left thousands of civilians dead and 3.65 million internally displaced, according to the UN.
Nearly half of Yemen’s more than 30 million people need immediate assistance to sustain or save their lives.
*Writing by Zehra Nur Duz from AnkaraAnadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.