Politics, World, archive

Scores killed in Yemen mosque blast

Officials say attack took place inside Al-Muayd Mosque, believed to be stronghold of Shia Houthi militia

02.09.2015
Scores killed in Yemen mosque blast

SANAA, Yemen

At least 20 people were killed and many others were injured after a bomb went off inside a mosque in Yemen’s capital Sanaa, medical sources said. 

Officials told Anadolu Agency that the attack happened at Al-Muayd Mosque in al-Garaf district, which is believed to be a stronghold of the Shia Houthi militia. 

Eyewitnesses said the attack ripped through the mosque following the evening prayer. Emergency vehicles rushed to the scene and scores of people were taken to nearby hospitals. 

No one has claimed responsibility for the attack. 

Earlier on Wednesday, two Red Cross aid workers were killed by unknown assailants in northern Yemen.

Yemen descended into chaos last September, when the Houthis overran capital Sanaa. In April, the Shia militia also managed to capture Yemen’s southern Aden province, from which Hadi – along with most of his government – was forced to flee to Saudi Arabia.

In March, Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched an extensive air campaign targeting Houthi positions across the country, which in recent weeks has allowed pro-Hadi forces to retake most of Aden province.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın