16 March 2016•Update: 22 March 2016
By P Prem Kumar
KUALA LUMPUR
Malaysia’s embattled premier accused “certain quarters” Wednesday of orchestrating allegations against him in relation to the country’s indebted state investment vehicle and an alleged $681 million political donation.
Answering questions about the controversies in parliament for the first time, Najib Razak attempted to quash speculations that issues revolving around 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) and the political donation had weakened the overall economy and investor confidence in Malaysia.
"In reality, we have our achievement facts where the foreign direct investment inflow has been improving and our economic growth has been the highest in the world," he said.
The comment came in response to a query from an opposition lawmaker about whether the uncertainty caused by the allegations, which have appeared in international media, had eroded foreign investors' confidence.
Earlier this year, the attorney general cleared Razak of any wrongdoing over the $681 million found in his personal accounts, saying it was a political donation from Saudi Arabia to keep the long-ruling United Malays National Organisation in power in the 2013 general election.
Critics have questioned the credibility of the office’s decision, and have also demanded Razak’s resignation over 1MDB, his brainchild that has amassed debts worth 42 billion Ringgit ($11.6 billion) in just six years of operations.
The premier insisted Wednesday that he was unperturbed by the ongoing “hate campaigns” against him and his administration as the government "has a plan in place".
He assured that the campaigns and allegations -- which he said were aimed at undermining the country’s economic achievements -- would be silenced sooner or later by its “prosperous and resilient” economic growth.
Razak stressed that Malaysians can expect the government to uphold accountability amid ongoing investigations by the Public Accounts Committee into 1MDB and the political donation.
"We will answer the people because I'm duty-bound to them... so there is nothing for us to be concerned about because the accountability process will be carried on," he added.
Razak reiterated that despite the allegations against his administration, the government would remain committed to implementing "the plan" it has in place.
"My wish is that whatever the attack is, we should not forget the commitment and focus we currently have. Sooner or later, the people of Malaysia will appreciate our efforts," he said.
The premier also slammed his former mentor-turned-critic, Malaysia’s longest serving PM Dr. Mahathir Mohamad, saying Mohamad had teamed up with people who once accused him of cruelty and racism.
"Even during the leadership of Mahathir, there were a lot of allegations against him like being extremely cruel and the Evil Pharaoh, but now they are all sitting together," Razak told lawmakers.
Late last month, 90-year-old Mohamad resigned from UMNO due to what he called a deviation in party principles that champion one-man's aspirations, expressing frustration with Razak's ill administration” and sticking to his calls for him to resign.