World, archive

Fire at Turkish mosque in Greece caused by 'short circuit'

Fire broke out at mosque before Friday prayers in Komotini city damaging roof and interior.

18.04.2015
Fire at Turkish mosque in Greece caused by 'short circuit'

ATHENS 

A short circuit caused the fire at a mosque in northeastern Greece damaging the roof and the interior, Greece foreign ministry said on Saturday.

The fire broke out at the Mahmut Aga mosque just before Friday prayers in the city of Komotini in northeastern Greece.

According to an initial report, the short circuit is believed to be the cause of the fire, but the exact reason will be ascertained after a probe, Greek Foreign Ministry spokesman Konstantinos Kutras said in a press conference.

Komotini authorities told the Anadolu Agency that firefighters had to be called in to put out the blaze. 

The Turkish Foreign Ministry released a statement Saturday urging Greek authorities to thoroughly investigate the recent incident.

The Turkish ministry said that it expected Greece to take all necessary measures to provide peace and safety to the Turkish minority community living in Greece's Western Thrace.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın