Middle East

Blast kills four army soldiers in Egypt’s Sinai

There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack

08.12.2015
Blast kills four army soldiers in Egypt’s Sinai

CAIRO

Four army soldiers were killed and four others were injured in a bomb blast in Egypt’s restive Sinai Peninsula on Tuesday, a security source told Anadolu Agency.

An explosive device targeting a military convoy went off in Rafah, the source added. Egyptian authorities have yet to comment on the attack, for which no group has claimed responsibility.

Since the ouster of President Mohamed Morsi in a 2013 military coup, the northern Sinai Peninsula has been the epicenter of a deadly insurgency against Egyptian security personnel.

In recent months, the “Welayet Sinai” (Province of Sinai) group -- said to be linked with Daesh -- has claimed responsibility for a spate of deadly attacks on Egyptian security forces deployed in the volatile region. 

Last month, the group claimed responsibility for two suicide bombings in Arish that killed five people, including two judges.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın