World, archive

Death toll in Syria over 13,000 since March 2011

More than 13,000 people had been killed in Syria since an anti-regime revolt broke out in March last year.

28.05.2012
Death toll in Syria over 13,000 since March 2011

ANKARA 

Death toll reached over 13,000 since the anti-regime protests began in Syria in March 2011.

According to Al-Arabiya, Rami Abdel Rahman of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that more than 13,000 people had been killed in Syria since an anti-regime revolt broke out in March last year.
"In total, 13,004 people were killed," said Abdel Rahman, adding that 9,183 of them were civilians.
Another 3,072 were regime troops and 749 were army defectors, he added, noting that civilians who had taken up arms during the increasingly militarized revolt were being counted under the category of "civilians."
"Since the ceasefire, brokered by U.N.-Arab League peace envoy Kofi Annan, came into effect on April 12, 1,881 people have been killed," said Abdel Rahman.
The Observatory's latest figures were published a day after at least 92 people, a third of them children, were killed in Houleh, a town in central province of Homs.
Meanwhile United Nations Secretary-General Ban-Ki moon said that UNSMIS was informed that 116 people had been killed and over 300 were wounded during the attacks in El-Houleh.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın