World, Middle East

UN chief 'deeply' regrets resumption of fighting in Gaza after pause

Return to hostilities only shows how important to have 'true humanitarian' cease-fire, says Antonio Guterres

Beyza Binnur Donmez  | 01.12.2023 - Update : 01.12.2023
UN chief 'deeply' regrets resumption of fighting in Gaza after pause

GENEVA

The head of the UN expressed "deep regret" on Friday over the resumption of fighting in Gaza following the end of the humanitarian pause earlier in the day.

"I deeply regret that military operations have started again in Gaza. I still hope that it will be possible to renew the pause that was established," Antonio Guterres said on X.

Guterres added that the "return to hostilities only shows how important it is to have a true humanitarian ceasefire."

At least 32 Palestinians were killed and several others injured as Israel resumed attacks in various areas of the Gaza Strip within three hours of the pause ending early on Friday, according to the Health Ministry in the enclave.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın