5 Yemenis killed in public market explosion in Aden
No group claimed responsibility for incident
Five Yemeni people on Thursday were killed in a blast in a public market in the Aden city, southern Yemen.
A security source told Anadolu Agency that an explosive device was placed in a garbage container in a public market in the Sheikh Othman district, northern Aden city.
A medical source in a hospital in Aden also told Anadolu Agency that 20 injured people arrived at the hospital for treatment, adding that some of the injured are in critical condition.
So far, there has been no comment from the Yemeni authorities on the incident and no group has claimed responsibility for it.
Since August 2019, Aden has been under the control of the Southern Transitional Council, backed by the United Arab Emirates, as part of its conflict with the Yemeni government.
Yemen has been engulfed by violence and instability since 2014 when Iranian-aligned Houthi rebels captured much of the country, including the capital Sanaa.
The Saudi-led coalition entered the war in early 2015 to restore the Yemeni government to power.
The eight-year conflict has created one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world, with millions suffering from hunger.
*Writing by Ahmed Asmar in AnkaraAnadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.