UK considers introducing bill to prevent former Prince Andrew from becoming king: Report
Survey shows 82% of Brits believe Mountbatten‑Windsor should be removed from royal line of succession
LONDON
The British government is considering introducing legislation to remove former Prince Andrew from the line of royal succession amid an uproar following his arrest in the wake of new revelations about convicted US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, said Friday media reports.
The government intends to make the proposal, which would prevent Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, as he is now officially known, from ever becoming king, the BBC reported.
UK politicians raised an outcry about former Prince Andrew after his arrest Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office following recent revelations in a US release of documents related to Epstein, who died in a jail cell in 2019.
Ed Davey, leader of the Liberal Democrats, said the former prince’s status in the royal line of succession should be considered.
"Clearly this is an issue that parliament is going to have to consider when the time is right, naturally the monarchy will want to make sure he can never become king," he said in a statement.
Stephen Flynn, the Scottish National Party’s (SNP) Westminster leader, told British tabloid The Sun that the public would be rightly angry that a man who lied about being friends with Epstein could still be on course to be head of state.
Andrew Bowie, the Conservative shadow Scotland secretary, said removing him from the line of succession would be the right thing: "If he’s found guilty of this, I think parliament would be well within its rights to act to remove him from the line of succession."
A YouGov poll published Friday suggested that 82% of British citizens now believe Mountbatten‑Windsor should be removed from the royal line of succession entirely versus just 6% who said he should remain.
The last time the line of succession was changed by an act of parliament was in 2013, when the Succession to the Crown Act restored individuals who had previously been excluded as they had married a Catholic.
The last time someone was removed from the line of succession by an act of parliament was in 1936, when former King Edward VIII and his descendants were removed due to his abdication over his desire to marry Wallis Simpson, a divorcee.
Former prince denies any wrongdoing
On Thursday, Mountbatten-Windsor, 66, was arrested by the Thames Valley Police. He was released 11 hours later.
"Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office," said Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright.
The former prince has denied any wrongdoing related to Epstein.
On Feb. 9, after a large release of US files on Epstein the previous month, police said they were assessing reports of alleged misconduct "in line with our established procedures."
The younger brother of King Charles served as the UK’s trade envoy from 2001 to 2011. He withdrew from royal duties in 2019 after his connection to Epstein became public.
According to the January file release, on Oct. 7, 2010, Andrew sent Epstein details of his official upcoming trips as trade envoy to Singapore, Vietnam, Shenzhen in China, and Hong Kong.
On Nov. 30, he appeared to have forwarded official reports of those trips – sent by his then-special assistant – to Epstein just after receiving them.
Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
