A US-Israeli strike targeted Iran’s South Pars petrochemical complex in the southwestern energy hub of Asaluyeh on Monday, according to Iranian media reports.
Fars News Agency reported explosions at the site following the strike.
The semi-official Mehr News Agency said attacks hit petrochemical facilities in Asaluyeh, including the Jam and Damavand plants.
According to Tasnim news agency, the Mobin and Damavand companies -- which supply electricity, water, and oxygen to petrochemical plants in Asaluyeh -- were among the facilities targeted. It added that the Pars Petrochemical Company was not damaged in the attacks.
Iranian media said disruption to the two utility providers is expected to cut power to all petrochemical plants in Asaluyeh until operations are restored.
A deputy governor of Bushehr province confirmed that several petrochemical production units were damaged in the renewed attack on the South Pars Special Economic Energy Zone.
He said the extent of the damage is under investigation and that no casualties have been reported so far.
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz confirmed that the military had struck what he called Iran’s largest petrochemical facility.
“The IDF (army) just struck Iran's largest petrochemical facility located in Asaluyeh,” he said in comments carried by the Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper.
Katz claimed that the targeted facilities account for about 85% of Iran’s petrochemical exports and “are no longer operational.”
Regional tensions have escalated since the US and Israel launched a joint offensive on Iran on Feb. 28, killing more than 1,340 people to date, including then-Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.
Tehran has retaliated with drone and missile strikes targeting Israel, as well as Jordan, Iraq, and Gulf countries hosting US military assets. Iran has also restricted the movement of ships through the Strait of Hormuz.
By Mohammad Sio
Anadolu Agency
energy@aa.com.tr