A rocket allegedly fired by the Taliban hit a residential home in central Afghanistan, killing two women and injuring two children, an official confirmed Sunday.
Ahmad Shah, spokesman for the Uruzgan provincial governor, told Anadolu Agency the incident took place in the Deh Rawood district last evening. Blaming the Taliban for the incident, he said the residence of a local pro-government tribal leader had been “deliberately” targeted. Shah added that the injured children are in critical condition.
Figures by Afghanistan’s Independent Human Rights Commission suggest that in the first six months of 2020, nearly 3,000 civilians were killed or injured in 880 different security incidents (1,213 killed, 1,744 injured) such as landmine blasts, aerial raids, and ground offensives between rival parties of the conflict
The Taliban have yet to comment on the incident. Meanwhile, the group on Sunday accused the US of violating the peace deal reached in Doha, Qatar, this February, warning that all consequences from mounting air strikes against them will fall squarely on the “American side.”
"American forces have violated the Doha agreement in various forms by carrying out excessive airstrikes following the new developments in Helmand province, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahed said in a statement.
Also on Sunday, Col. Sonny Leggett, spokesman for the US Forces in Afghanistan (USFOR-A), announced a large military aircraft C-17 made an emergency landing at Kandahar Airfield in the morning.
"No injuries have been reported and the airfield is open only to military traffic. Enemy activity was not involved. The incident is under investigation," he tweeted.
The Afghan government on Monday claimed to have repulsed a major Taliban onslaught in the neighboring restive Helmand province, killing over 70 insurgents with the support of US air power.
Legget said last week that several targeted strikes were conducted in Helmand to support Afghan security forces under attack by the Taliban “consistent with the US-Taliban agreement,” adding the USFOR-A will continue to provide support in defense of the Afghan security forces under attack by the Taliban.
Under the US-Taliban peace deal, the insurgents are not supposed to attack major cities or provincial capitals.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.