RAMALLAH
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas is expected to urge Arab countries during a Wednesday meeting of the Arab League for more financial support amid Israeli and U.S. threats of sanctions over the peace talks impasse.
"Abbas will tell Arab foreign ministers that Palestine is in need of their political and more importantly financial, support," a Palestinian official, who requested anonymity, told Anadolu Agency hours before the Arab League meeting in Cairo.
According to the official, Israel has threatened to withhold the delivery of some $100 million worth of border-crossing taxes and custom tariffs collected monthly by Israel on behalf of the Palestinian Authority.
The Palestinian cabinet has called on Arab countries to implement the resolutions of Arabs summits on supporting of Al-Quds (occupied east Jerusalem) and provide a financial safety net for Palestinians in view of Israeli threats.
Saleh Raafat, a member of the Palestine Liberation Organization's executive office, on Wednesday urged Arab foreign ministers to "reject U.S. and Israeli pressures on the Palestinian leadership."
In a statement, he appealed for implementing Arab summit resolutions on offering financial support for the Palestinians.
The Palestinian Popular Struggle Front (PPSF), a political party and member of the PLO, made a similar call on Wednesday.
In a statement, PPSF spokesman Awni Abu Ghoush called on the Arab League member states to activate the financial safety net to help the Palestinians stand up to Israeli threats.
He also urged Arab countries to support the Palestinian drive to join international conventions.
Israel and the Palestinians resumed peace talks last July, with the mediation of the United States, after a three-year pause.
However, the prospects for the talks appeared to crumble late last month after Israel halted the release of 26 Palestinian prisoners, the fourth group scheduled for release according to a previous deal.
In response, Abbas formally applied for Palestinian membership in 15 U.N. conventions.
The developments came only a few weeks before an April 29 negotiation deadline for the U.S.-sponsored talks.
On Friday, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said that his administration would "evaluate" its role in the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, saying both sides had taken unhelpful steps, driving Washington to reconsider its position.
By Abdel-Raouf Arnaout
englishnews@aa.com.tr