ISTANBUL
Here is a rundown of all the news that you need to start your Friday with, including Israeli forces killing several Palestinians in fresh attacks, the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ordering additional measures against Israel in a genocide case, and former South Africa President Jacob Zuma being barred from upcoming elections.
TOP STORIES
The Israeli army killed 13 Palestinians in attacks on the Gaza Strip early Friday and wounded dozens of others, most of them women and children.
Israeli warplanes bombed a house belonging to the Muammer family in the southern city of Khan Younis, killing 12 people and injuring many others, according to the Palestinian official news agency WAFA.
Local residents and civil defense teams are continuing search and rescue efforts in the collapsed structure following the attack.
Israeli warplanes also targeted multiple locations across Gaza, resulting in casualties.
The International Court of Justice (ICJ) on Thursday indicated additional provisional measures, including the "unhindered provision" of aid to Gaza, in the ongoing genocide case against Israel at South Africa's request.
"The catastrophic living conditions of the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip have deteriorated further," said the ICJ order, referring to the change in the situation since its interim ruling on Jan. 26.
The ICJ said it indicated new measures since the provisional measures indicated in the earlier order "do not fully address the consequences arising from the changes in the situation."
South Africa’s Electoral Commission said Thursday that it has disqualified former President Jacob Zuma from contesting for a seat in parliament in the forthcoming election to be held on May 29.
South Africa’s constitution does not allow an individual convicted for more than a year to hold public office.
In July 2021, Zuma was sentenced to 15 months in jail for contempt of court for refusing to testify before a judicial commission investigating corruption during his presidency. He was soon released on medical parole to serve his sentence under house arrest.
NEWS IN BRIEF
SPORTS
Barcelona sealed an 87-79 road win against Bayern Munich in Round 32 of the Turkish Airlines EuroLeague on Thursday.
Jabari Parker produced 15 points, while Nicolas Laprovittola scored 14 points and Jan Vesely netted 12 points at BMW Park in Munich.
Bayern Munich’s Nick Weiler-Babb and Serge Ibaka each scored 17 points, but their efforts were in vain.
Newcastle United's Sandro Tonali has been charged with a fresh betting offense, England’s Football Association (FA) confirmed Thursday.
"It’s alleged that the Newcastle United midfielder breached FA Rule E8 50 times by placing bets on football matches between 12 August 2023 and 12 October 2023," the FA added.
The association also said that Tonali has until April 4 to respond.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Canada's real gross domestic product (GDP) grew 0.6% in January, the country's statistical body said Thursday.
The market expectation for GDP was to show an increase of 0.4% on a monthly basis.
"Services-producing industries increased 0.7% in January, led by a rebound in educational services following the resolution of the public sector strikes in Quebec in November and December," Statistics Canada said in a statement.
The US economy expanded 3.4% in the fourth quarter of 2023, according to the Commerce Department's third and final reading released Thursday.
The figure is revised up from the second reading of 3.2% made last month.
The American economy expanded by 4.9% in the third quarter of last year.
news_share_descriptionsubscription_contact
