The Lebanese army announced the arrest of nine people, including a Syrian national, in connection with deadly gunfire that erupted in Beirut on Thursday.
In a statement on Twitter, the army said it had bolstered its forces in the areas that witnessed the clashes occurred after unknown gunmen opened fire on demonstrating members of the Hezbollah group and Amal Movement, deploying patrols to avert further violence.
It also added that the army command was in contact with the parties involved to contain the situation and prevent wider fighting.
Early on Thursday, unknown gunmen opened fire at the protest near the Palace of Justice, killing at least six people and wounding 32 others.
The protest was held to demand the removal of Tarek Bitar, the judge heading the probe into last year's deadly Beirut port blast, as the court dismissed a complaint against him and allowed him to continue the investigation.
Commenting on the violence, Hezbollah and Amal released a joint statement accusing an "armed group" affiliated with the Lebanese Forces party, led by Samir Geagea, of being behind the attack.
The Lebanese military said in a statement that the protesters were attacked while heading toward the Palace of Justice.
The Beirut port blast in August 2020 killed more than 200 people, injured around 6,000, and left some 300,000 homeless, besides causing massive damage and further weakening Lebanon’s already fragile economy.
*Writing by Ahmed Asmar in AnkaraAnadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.