World, Middle East

Aden death toll rises to 46: Yemeni government

Daesh has claimed responsibility for the attack

07.11.2017
Aden death toll rises to 46: Yemeni government

By Mubarak Mohamed

ADEN, Yemen

The death toll from this weekend’s suicide bombing in Yemen’s southern city of Aden rose to 46, according to Yemeni authorities.

In a statement on Tuesday, the Interior Ministry said that some 47 people had also been injured in the attack.

On Sunday, a man rammed his explosives-laden vehicle into the main security headquarters in Aden before assailants attacked the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).

Yemeni authorities earlier said 18 people had been killed and 28 others injured in the attack, for which the Daesh terrorist group claimed responsibility.

Aden is the temporary seat of the Yemeni government.

Impoverished Yemen has remained in a state of civil war since 2014, when Houthi rebels overran much of the country, including the capital Sanaa.

The conflict escalated when Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a massive air campaign in 2015 aimed at reversing Houthi military gains and strengthening Yemen’s embattled government.

In September, a UN human rights report said al-Qaeda was operational in parts of war-torn Yemen, taking advantage of the chaos gripping the Arab country.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın