British Prime Minister Boris Johnson expressed on Tuesday the U.K.’s condemnation of last weekend’s attacks in Saudi Arabia, a government statement said.
Johnson discussed the recent attacks on Aramco oil facilities in a phone call with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, according to the statement.
Johnson said “the U.K. stands by Saudi Arabia” and “is committed to the country’s security.”
Johnson and Salman “noted the need to establish the facts of what happened”, the statement added.
It said Johnson “reiterated the importance of a collective response,” and “encouraged the Crown Prince to continue working with international partners.”
Earlier on Tuesday, Johnson and German Chancellor Angela Merkel agreed to give a “collective response” to last week’s attacks.
Yemen's Iran-backed Houthi rebels claimed responsibility for the attacks on the Saudi state-run Aramco facilities Saturday.
Saudi Arabia temporarily cut oil production from the two oil facilities, which corresponds to nearly 2 million barrels per day.
Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman on Tuesday said oil supplies returned to their level before Saturday attacks on the Saudi state-run Aramco facilities.
The U.S. accused Iran of directing the attacks while Saudi Arabia awaits the results of the investigation.
Since 2015, a Saudi-led coalition has been fighting the Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen. Thousands of Yemenis were killed and pushed the country to the brink of famine.
Houthis, whose mid and long-range ballistic missiles are usually intercepted by Saudi air defense systems, have recently been used to target certain strategic parts of Saudi Arabia with armed drones.
Several countries around the world condemned the attack including the U.S., the U.K. and Turkey.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.