Middle East, Europe

EU: Attack on Saudi oil facilities threat to security

Drone attacks on Saudi oil facilities undermine ongoing work at de-escalation and dialogue, EU spokesperson says

Diyar Güldoğan   | 15.09.2019
EU: Attack on Saudi oil facilities threat to security

ANKARA

The drone attacks on two facilities of Saudi Arabia’s state-owned oil company Aramco poses a real threat to regional security, an EU official said on Sunday. 

"Yesterday’s attack by drones on two ARAMCO oil facilities in Saudi Arabia poses a real threat to regional security.

"At a time when tensions in the region are running high, this attack undermines ongoing work at de-escalation and dialogue," an EU spokesperson said in a statement.

EU also expressed sympathy to the Saudi authorities and to the Saudi people.

"It is important to clearly establish the facts and determine responsibility for this deplorable attack. At the same time the European Union repeats its call for maximum restraint and de-escalation," the statement read.

Following the drone attacks, Saudi Arabia temporarily cut its oil production from its two oil facilities run by the Saudi Aramco, which corresponds to nearly two million barrels per day.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack; however, Saudi-led coalition currently fights against the Houthi rebels in Yemen, who carried out similar attacks in the past.

The Houthis have medium, long-range ballistic missiles in their inventory and they had previously targeted certain strategic locations of Saudi Arabia with armed drones.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın