China’s Wuhan city and Hubei province, which were initially at the center of the global coronavirus outbreak, saw no new COVID-19 cases on Monday, authorities said on Tuesday.
According to the state-run Xinhua News Agency, China’s National Health Commission reported one death due to COVID-19 in Hubei, the capital of which is Wuhan, on Monday.
The health commission also confirmed there were no cases of local transmission anywhere on mainland China on Monday.
In a statement, it said the 48 cases reported in the country on Monday were all people who had recently come to China from abroad.
The commission said 282 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals over the past 24 hours.
As per the statement, the total number of coronavirus cases on mainland China now stands at 81,518, with the death toll at 3,305 and a total of 76,052 recoveries.
Hong Kong has 682 cases and four deaths so far, Taiwan has 306 cases, and Macau has 39 cases, according to the commission report.
By Monday, a total of 124 COVID-19 patients had recovered in Hong Kong, 39 in Taiwan, and 10 in Macau, it added.
The new coronavirus, which emerged in Wuhan last December, has now spread to at least 177 countries and regions, according to figures compiled by the U.S.-based Johns Hopkins University.
The data shows more than 788,500 cases have been reported around the world since December, with the global death toll nearing 38,000 and over 166,700 recoveries.
Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.