Libya’s UN-recognized government on Saturday said it struck multiple targets of warlord Khalifa Haftar’s forces south of the capital Tripoli.
In a statement, the Government of National Accord (GNA) said 11 targets of Haftar’s forces were bombed.
It said the offensive was in retaliation to attacks by Haftar’s forces on civilian settlements in Tripoli and the Mitiga International Airport.
The GNA said Haftar's forces had launched more than 60 rockets at the capital, 25 of which targeted the airport.
In a statement earlier this week, the GNA Health Ministry said 21 civilians, including women and children, were killed and 31 injured in attacks by Haftar’s militias from Jan 9. to Feb. 20.
Since the ouster of late ruler Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, two seats of power have emerged in Libya: Haftar in eastern Libya, supported mainly by Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, and the GNA in Tripoli, which enjoys UN and international recognition.
The GNA has been under attack by Haftar’s forces since last April, with more than 1,000 lives lost in the violence.
* Writing by Firdevs BulutAnadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.