ANKARA
The destruction caused by the operations of Syrian forces was displayed thanks to the two UN observers in Homs city of Syria.
Two UN observers are currently examining Homs city where thousands of people were killed and hundreds of buildings were destroyed during the Syrian forces' operations continuing for a long time.
Syrian General Revolution Commission member Rami Humusi told AA on Tuesday that people and the city had been quiet as UN observers were currently in the city.
Noting that heavy operations had been taking place in Homs for three months, Humusi said that hundreds of thousands of people had to leave the city due to operations which ruined the city after use of heavy armor.
The real destruction has came to light thanks to presence of the UN observers, said Humusi, adding that there were still military vehicles and tanks in the city center.
There are snipers on rooftops, and they are shooting any thing that moves on the street in certain hours of the day, he said.
The wave of "Arab Spring" reached Syria on March 15, 2011 and Syrian people started to protest the government. The government responded with heavy-handed force, and demonstrations quickly spread across much of the country.
UN-Arab League Special Envoy to Syria Kofi Annan presented a peace plan last month. The six-point peace plan includes demands for a ceasefire, the immediate withdrawal of heavy armor from residential areas and access for humanitarian aid.
The plan was presented to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on March 10 and accepted by him on March 27.
The ceasefire came into effect on April 12, but although the overall level of violence has dropped since then, al-Assad's government has been accused of failing to abide by key terms of the truce plan, including pulling all forces from urban areas and allowing peaceful demonstrations.
The UN currently has 11 unarmed observers under its Supervision Mission to Syria (UNSMIS). The UN passed a resolution on April 14 for a total of 30, then another resolution to increase the number to 300.
The UN says about 9,000 people have died since pro-democracy protests began in March 2011.