ABUJA
Nigeria accepted on Tuesday an offer from U.S. President Barack Obama to deploy security personnel and assets to help rescue scores of schoolgirls abducted last month by the Boko Haram militant group.
"President Goodluck Jonathan welcomed and accepted a definite offer of help from the U.S. in the ongoing effort to locate and rescue the girls abducted from the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok three weeks ago," Reuben Abati, special adviser to the president, said in a statement mailed to Anadolu Agency.
According to the statement, the U.S. will deploy security personnel and assets to work with their Nigerian counterparts in the search and rescue operation.
On April 14, militants stormed the school in Chibok, located on the fringes of the Sambisa Forest, a known Boko Haram hideout.
They loaded scores of the schoolgirls onto trucks before driving away unhindered.
The exact number of the abducted schoolgirls remains dogged by controversy.
Boko Haram claimed responsibility for the abductions in a new video released on Monday.
Abati said the Obama offer was conveyed to President Jonathan by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry during a phone conversation earlier today.
"Kerry assured President Jonathan that the U.S. is wholly committed to giving Nigeria all required support and assistance to save the abducted girls and bring the reign of terror unleashed on parts of the country by Boko Haram to an end," he added.
More than 1500 people have been killed this year alone in attacks blamed on Boko Haram insurgents, most of which have taken place in the northeastern Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states.
Boko Haram, which means "Western education is forbidden" in the local Hausa language, first emerged in the early 2000s preaching against government misrule and corruption.
The group later became violent, however, after the death of its leader while in police custody.
In the years since, the shadowy sect has been blamed for attacking places of worship and government institutions, along with causing thousands of deaths.
By Rafiu Ajakaye
englishnews@aa.com.tr