CAIRO (AA) – Egyptian security forces on Thursday killed a "jihadist" suspected of killing six army troops earlier this week, a security official has told Anadolu Agency.
Fathi Aziz al-Din, 30, had been suspected of involvement in a Monday attack targeting a military vehicle in the Nile Delta Sharqiya province that killed one army officer and five conscripts.
Security forces shot the suspect on Thursday after he hurled two grenades at them during a raid on his home in the town of Abu Kabir, Sharqiya Security Chief Sameh al-Kelani said in a statement.
Aziz al-Din was taken to Zagazig University Hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries, the official added.
Militant attacks on army and police personnel and facilities have been on the rise since the July 3 ouster of elected President Mohamed Morsi by the country's military establishment.
The army is currently carrying out what military experts are calling the biggest military operation in the Sinai Peninsula since Egypt's 1973 war with Israel with the stated aim of combating "militancy and terrorism."
englishnews@aa.com.tr