Yemen: Fighting kills dozens east of Sanaa
Gov't forces captured a number of Houthi positions in Nahm directorate
By Mohammed al-Samei
Dozens of people were killed in four days of deadly clashes between Yemeni government forces and Houthi rebels east of Sanaa, according to the media center for pro-government forces.
In a statement on Monday, the center said government forces managed to capture a number of Houthi positions in Nahm directorate, 40 kilometers (nearly 25 miles) east of Sanaa.
According to the statement, more than 3,000 landmines had been extracted from the area.
More than 12 military vehicles had been destroyed by Saudi-led coalition planes during the fighting, the media center said.
Impoverished Yemen has remained in a state of civil war since 2014, when Houthi rebels overran much of the country, including the capital Sanaa.
In 2015, Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a massive air campaign aimed at reversing Houthi military gains and shoring up Yemen’s embattled government.
According to UN officials, more than 10,000 people have been killed in the war, while more than 11 percent of the country’s population has been displaced as a direct result of the conflict.