WASHINGTON
A Bahraini court’s decision to suspended the country’s leading Shiite opposition group stymies reconciliation efforts, the State Department said Tuesday.
An administration court ordered the suspension of the al-Wefaq National Islamic Society for a three-month period Tuesday. In its ruling, the court instructed the Shiite group to "rectify its status" and ordered its suspension for three months.
“We are concerned by today’s decision of the administrative court in Bahrain to suspend the activities of al-Wefaq National Islamic Society for three months on technical grounds,” State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters. “Such a move runs contrary to fostering an environment of political inclusion.”
Bahrain is slated to hold elections Nov. 22 and al-Wefaq previously said that it would boycott the poll.
Shiite majority Bahrain is ruled by an unelected Sunni monarchy, fueling tensions on the island nation. It has been the site of protests since February 2011, with the government accusing al-Wefaq of being behind the unrest.
Bahrain declared U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights and Labor Tom Malinowski persona non grata in July after he met with members of the leading Shiite political party.
The movement says it wants to see the adoption of a constitutional monarchy system in Bahrain, along with an elected government.
Psaki’s comments come as the U.S. seeks to maintain an international coalition against ISIL militants in Syria and Iraq. Washington has emphasized the need for regional partners, including Bahrain, to participate in the coalition.
The U.S. Fifth Fleet, responsible for patrolling the Persian Gulf, is also based in Bahrain.
www.aa.com.tr/en