Skip to main content
logo
logo
  • WORLD
  • TÜRKİYE
  • ECONOMY
  • POLITICS
  • ENERGY
  • TECHNOLOGY
Türkçe
English
BHSC
Pусский
Français
العربية
Kurdî
کوردی
Shqip
فارسی
македонски
Bahasa Indonesia
Español
Middle EastUS-Israel-Iran War

Iran says US failed to reopen Strait of Hormuz despite ‘tricks’

Iranian military source says Iran has advanced weapons not yet used in war
Tarek Chouiref
21 May 2026•Update: 21 May 2026
Content media
ISTANBUL

Iran said Wednesday that the United States failed to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, despite what it described as repeated “tricks,” while an Iranian military source said Tehran possesses advanced weapons that have not yet been used in war.

According to remarks carried by Iran’s semi-official news agency ISNA, the political deputy of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy said the strait had been closed under orders from IRGC Navy Commander Alireza Tangsiri and claimed that Washington had failed to reverse the situation.

“The Americans, despite a thousand tricks and acts of deception, could not reopen it,” he said.

He added that all Iranian armed forces remained “with fingers on the trigger” and ready to respond to any future attack.

Separately, an Iranian military source said the country had developed advanced weapons that have not yet been used in war.

In remarks to the Russian state news agency RIA Novosti, the source said Iran faced no shortage in military or defensive capabilities and warned that it would not show restraint in any future confrontation.

Earlier Wednesday, Iran’s Persian Gulf Strait Authority announced a new oversight zone in the Strait of Hormuz requiring vessels transiting designated areas to coordinate with Iranian authorities.

The authority said the measure covered maritime routes between Iran and the United Arab Emirates at both eastern and western entrances to the strategic waterway.

Regional tensions have escalated since the US and Israel launched strikes against Iran in February. Tehran retaliated with strikes targeting Israel as well as US allies in the Gulf, along with the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.
A ceasefire took effect on April 8 through Pakistani mediation, but talks in Islamabad failed to secure a lasting agreement. US President Donald Trump later extended the truce indefinitely while maintaining a blockade on vessels traveling to or from Iranian ports through the strategic waterway.

news_share

news_share_descriptionsubscription_contact

subscription
logo

Reporting the Changing World

next-sosyalX/TwitterFacebookYouTubeInstagram

CORPORATE

  • History
  • Executive Team
  • Quality Management
  • Editorial Guidelines
  • Social Media Policies
  • Logos
  • Privacy and Cookies Policy
  • Information Policy
  • RSS
  • Diary

COMMUNICATION

  • Contact
  • Subscription Requests

Anadolu Ajansı © 2026

Google PlayApp Store
US-Israel-Iran war
Hormuz crisis
Russia-Ukraine war
Previous
Next
Previous
Israel issues demolition orders for 8 Palestinian homes and structures near occupied East Jerusalem

Israel issues demolition orders for 8 Palestinian homes and structures near occupied East Jerusalem

Next

Hezbollah says it conducted 24 operations against Israeli forces

Hezbollah says it conducted 24 operations against Israeli forces

LATEST NEWS

Xi's Pyongyang visit could put a North Korea-US summit on agenda: South Korea

Spanish Gaza flotilla activists to be deported via Türkiye: Foreign minister

German chancellor pushes special EU status for Ukraine

Turkish stock exchange up at Thursday opening

Poland summons Israeli charge d’affaires to demand apology over treatment of Gaza flotilla activists

SpaceX IPO filing shows $4.3B quarterly loss, Musk’s grip on voting power

South Korea issues travel alert for Uganda amid Ebola outbreak

See All