RAMALLAH
The Palestinian government on Sunday appealed to the international community to intervene for the protection of the Palestinian people against an ongoing Israeli escalation following the disappearance of three Jewish settlers in the West Bank.
"The international community must intervene through its legal and humanitarian institutions to protect the Palestinian people against the Israeli escalation," government spokesman Ihab Bessaiso said in a statement.
He Israeli prison authorities had imposed penalties on Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails, including depriving them of family visits.
Bessaiso dismissed as "collective punishment" ongoing Israeli operations in the occupied West Bank and the blockaded Gaza Strip.
Three teenage Jewish settlers went missing late Thursday in the southern West Bank.
Though no group has claimed responsibility, Israeli Premier Benjamin Netanyahu accused Hamas Sunday of abducting the three.
The Israeli army has cordoned off the West Bank city of Hebron as part of search efforts for the three Jewish teenage settlers.
It has also closed down all crossings with the Gaza Strip.
Israeli forces have earlier detained around dozens of Hamas leaders during pre-dawn raids on their West Bank homes.
The detainees included former ministers, lawmakers and mosque preachers, according to the Palestinian NGO Palestinian Prisoners' Club.
By Qais Abu Samra
Palestinians say Netanyahu exploiting missing settlers
A senior Palestinian official on Sunday accused Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of exploiting the issue of the missing Jewish to make Israel look like a victim.
"He wants to suggest that the recently-formed Palestinian national unity government has shattered all peace efforts" Yasser Abd Rabbo, the secretary of the Palestine Liberation Organization's Executive Committee told the Voice of Palestine radio.
He blamed Israel for violations and crimes being committed in the occupied Palestinian territories.
Three teenage Jewish settlers went missing late Thursday in the southern West Bank, but Netanyahu said Saturday that the three had been abducted by a "terrorist organization," holding the Palestinian Authority (PA) responsible for their safety.
No group has claimed responsibility for seizing the trio.
Abd Rabbo said the Israeli government had glossed over the crimes committed by Jewish settlers in the occupied Palestinian territories and never denounced them.
"Now, Netanyahu wants to hold us responsible for something we don't have anything to do with," he added.
"Netanyahu wants to show Israelis that he is a tough man, but at the same time appear before the international community as victim," said the Palestinian official.
The Israeli army has cordoned off the West Bank city of Hebron as part of search efforts for the three Jewish teenage settlers.
It has also closed down all crossings with the Gaza Strip.
Israeli forces have also detained 80 leaders of the Palestinian movement Hamas during pre-dawn raids on their West Bank homes.
The detainees included former ministers, lawmakers and mosque preachers.
By Qais Abu Samra
englishnews@aa.com.tr
www.aa.com.tr/en