Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday accused the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas of abducting three Israeli settlers missing since Thursday.
"Those who carried out the abduction of our boys were members of Hamas," Netanyahu said at the beginning of the weekly cabinet meeting, according to the Israeli Radio.
Three teenage Jewish settlers went missing late Thursday in the southern West Bank.
Netanyahu said he was only able to reveal that Hamas had abducted the three after Israeli security forces had raided the homes of scores of Hamas leaders and members in the West Bank and detained them.
Israeli forces had detained approximately 80 Hamas leaders, including former ministers, lawmakers and mosque preachers, in the early hours of Sunday.
No group has claimed responsibility for seizing the three settlers.
By Anees Barghouthy
Finding 3 settlers 'complicated' - Israeli minister
Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon on Sunday described as complicated the mission of finding three Israeli settlers who went missing on Thursday.
"I hope that this effort brings us as close as possible to the missing, so that we can rescue them alive," Ya'alon wrote on his Twitter account, according to the Israeli Jerusalem Post newspaper.
He said Israeli security forces are mounting a large-scale intelligence and operational effort.
"As long as we don't know otherwise, our working assumption is that they are among the living," Ya'alon added.
Three teenage Jewish settlers went missing late Thursday in the southern West Bank, but Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Saturday that the three had been abducted by a "terrorist organization," holding the Palestinian Authority (PA) responsible for their safety.
No group has claimed responsibility for seizing the trio.
By Abdel-Raouf Arnaout
englishnews@aa.com.tr
www.aa.com.tr/en