Middle East

Only one-third of expected travelers crossed Rafah since reopening: Gaza media office

1,148 Palestinians passed through crossing since Feb. 2 out of 3,400 anticipated

Ramzi Mahmud  | 19.02.2026 - Update : 19.02.2026
Only one-third of expected travelers crossed Rafah since reopening: Gaza media office

GAZA CITY, Palestine

Gaza’s government media office said Thursday that only 1,148 Palestinians have crossed the Rafah border crossing with Egypt since its limited reopening earlier this month, a figure it said represents roughly one-third of those expected to travel.

In a statement, the office said 640 people departed Gaza and 508 returned between Feb. 2 and Feb. 18, while 26 others were turned back during attempts to leave.

The total falls far short of the 3,400 travelers who were anticipated to pass through the crossing during that period, reflecting what the office described as about 33% Israeli compliance with understandings related to the Oct. 10 Gaza ceasefire.

The statement did not clarify how the overall expected number of travelers was calculated.

According to reports in Israeli and Egyptian media, arrangements had provided for the daily passage of 50 Palestinians into Gaza and 50 patients into Egypt, each accompanied by two escorts.

Israel reopened the Palestinian side of the Rafah crossing on Feb. 2 after controlling it since May 2024, but under tight restrictions.

Officials in Gaza say around 22,000 wounded and chronically ill residents require travel abroad for treatment, as the enclave’s health system continues to struggle after Israel’s two-year war.

Separate semi-official figures indicate that nearly 80,000 Palestinians have registered to return to Gaza.

The US-backed ceasefire agreement has been in place in Gaza since Oct. 10, halting Israel’s two-year war that has killed more than 72,000 people, mostly women and children, and injured over 171,000 others since October 2023.

Since the agreement took effect on Oct. 10, 2025, Israeli forces have committed hundreds of violations through shelling and gunfire, killing 611 Palestinians and injuring 1,630 others, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.

*Writing by Tarek Chouiref in Istanbul

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın