Middle East

‘Yemenis have lost confidence in Arab coalition'

Clashes between troops backed by UAE and Saudi threaten civil war in Yemen, says Presidential Advisor

Ali Oweida   | 15.08.2019
‘Yemenis have lost confidence in Arab coalition'

SANAA

A top Yemeni official on Thursday expressed dismay at the Saudi-led military coalition, declaring that it has failed the people of his country.

Taking to Twitter, Presidential Advisor Abdul Malik al-Mikhlafi, said the coalition has lost the confidence of people.

Last Saturday, southern separatists – backed by the UAE – seized key locations of the port city of Aden from Saudi-backed government forces.

The development is seen a major blow to the efforts by Saudi Arabia, to put the internationally-recognized government of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi, back in control of all of Yemen.

The Yemeni government described it a “complete coup” and questioned its legitimacy.

It has called for the withdrawal of attacking troops before starting any dialogue.

Al-Mikhlafi, also a former foreign minister, said the current situation will lead to many civil wars across the country.

“Masterminds behind the events of Aden, whether internal or external, must understand that they will be first to face the consequences. The will of the people, to protect their nation will not die,” he said.

He pointed out that what has transpired in Aden, was a copy of the first coup that happened in the capital Sanaa in 2014, using similar methods and circumstances.

He apprehended that the situation will deteriorate and everyone in the North and the South of Yemen will pay the price.

He called for a deep and comprehensive review of everything that happened to his country, since the Houthis and supporters of former Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh stormed Sanaa in 2014.

He demanded that a rescue plan must come out after the comprehensive review.

According to the UN, the latest fighting has left 40 civilians dead and more than 200 wounded. Neither side has so far announced casualty figures.

Following Iran backed Houthis taking over the capital Sana in 2014, nine countries from the Middle East and Africa, had come together under Saudi Arabia, in response to the calls from the internationally recognized President Hadi.

But off late the alliance is fracturing. Qatar was suspended from the coalition in 2017. Morocco ended their participation in 2019, followed by the UEA, which withdrew its forces in July.

The latest fighting between the forces backed by the two erstwhile Gulf allies in the Saudi-led coalition have further complicated the situation in Yemen.

*Bassel Barakat contributed to this report from Ankara

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın