World, Europe

Turkish president condemns far-right terror attack in Germany

Erdogan in joint phone call with Merkel, Macron, says attack caused by 'xenophobia, discrimination, hostility to Islam'

Kaan Bozdogan and Emin Ileri   | 21.02.2020
Turkish president condemns far-right terror attack in Germany

ISTANBUL

The Turkish president on Friday condemned Wednesday night's far-right terror attack in Germany, which he said was caused by "xenophobia, discrimination and hostility to Islam." 

Recep Tayyip Erdogan, in a joint phone call with his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, extended condolences for those killed during the attack, saying that he condemned the attack caused by "xenophobia, discrimination and hostility to Islam."

The attack killed at least nine people in the western town of Hanau, near Frankfurt.

The gunman, who targeted migrants at two cafe bars, was identified by security forces as 43-year-old Tobias R., German daily Bild reported.

Five Turkish citizens were among the victims, Turkish officials confirmed.


Situation in Syria’s Idlib

The aggression by the Syrian regime and its supporters in the country’s northwestern Idlib province should come to an end, Erdogan said, stressing on more support based on concrete actions to prevent humanitarian crises.

In September 2018, Turkey and Russia agreed to turn Idlib into a de-escalation zone in which acts of aggression are expressly prohibited.

The Syrian regime, however, violated the cease-fire several times martyring 14 Turkish soldiers in three attacks in February. The last attack was on Thursday, and two Turkish troops were martyred and five injured.

The regime's advances have sent hundreds of thousands of civilians fleeing towards the border with Turkey, which already hosts over 3.7 million refugees.

Libya

Erdogan also called for cooperation on Libya issue with consistent policies for peace, prosperity and stability in the country.

Since the ouster of late ruler Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, two seats of power have emerged in Libya: warlord Khalifa Haftar in eastern Libya, supported mainly by Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, and Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli, which enjoys the UN and international recognition.

The GNA had been under attack by Haftar since last April, claiming the lives of more than 1,000 people.


* Writing by Sibel Morrow in Ankara.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.