Thailand imposes martial law in border town, accusing Cambodians of 'inciting unrest'
Thai military bans weapons, sound equipment in Sa Kaeo province’s Ban Nong Chan town

ANKARA
The Thai army on Friday imposed martial law in the town of Ban Nong Chan, which is located in Thailand’s Sa Kaeo province, citing Cambodian nationals illegally entering the area and inciting unrest for the move.
In a statement, the military said the Burapha Task Force, a unit of the Thai First Army Area responsible for border security and operations along the Thai-Cambodian border, has enacted measures to "maintain peace and order" with strict enforcement protocols in Ban Nong Chan, located in Sa Kaeo province’s Khok Sung District.
"This follows incidents of Cambodian citizens illegally crossing into Thai territory and causing disturbances, posing a threat to national security and the safety of residents in the area," the statement said.
The military banned the possession of weapons or weapon-like objects in designated areas. It also prohibited the blocking of roads, unauthorized photography of military bases, and the use of sound amplification equipment without prior permission.
Additionally, disputes, alcohol consumption, and the use of intoxicating substances are now forbidden in the area.
The Thai military warned Cambodian citizens of strict legal consequences, including prosecution for illegal entry, damage or theft of government property, and acts that undermine Thailand’s sovereignty -- offenses that could carry penalties of life imprisonment or even the death sentence.
The move follows protests earlier this week by Cambodian citizens who gathered near the Sa Kaeo border to oppose the installation of barbed wire fencing. The Thai military stated that anyone found dismantling the wire could face up to five years in prison.
Thailand and Cambodia have long-standing border tensions, particularly around Cambodia’s Preah Vihear province and Thailand's Ubon Ratchathani province. Tensions flared again on May 28, when a Cambodian soldier was reportedly killed. Clashes last month left dozens of people, including civilians, dead.
Both South East Asian nations later agreed to a ceasefire, which remains in effect. On Aug. 7, the two countries endorsed a 13-point agreement, including a provision allowing ASEAN observers to monitor the ceasefire along the disputed border.
Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.