Asia - Pacific

Families of Japanese abductees conditionally soften stance on North Korea, urge victims' return

Families call on Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi's administration to accelerate negotiations with North Korea to return victims

Berk Kutay Gokmen  | 16.02.2026 - Update : 16.02.2026
Families of Japanese abductees conditionally soften stance on North Korea, urge victims' return

ISTANBUL

Families of Japanese nationals abducted by North Korea have agreed to ease their previously uncompromising position toward the authoritarian regime, provided that the Japanese government succeeds in bringing every victim back to Japan, Jiji Press reported on Monday.

At a joint gathering in Tokyo on Sunday, organizations representing the relatives of those abducted, along with their supporters, approved a policy of not opposing Japan’s provision of humanitarian assistance to North Korea, the removal of its unilateral sanctions, or the initiation of diplomatic normalization talks with Pyongyang, as part of efforts to secure the complete return of the victims.

The Association of Families of Victims Kidnapped by North Korea and the National Association for the Rescue of Japanese Kidnapped by North Korea also resolved that they would no longer request information from returned abductees beyond updates concerning other victims.

Calling on the administration of Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi to accelerate negotiations with Pyongyang, Takuya Yokota—the 57-year-old younger brother of Megumi Yokota, who was abducted by North Korean agents in 1977 at age 13—said at a press conference that the groups had made a "painful decision."

"Although our grudge toward North Korea is ever-growing, we've concluded that a dialogue phase already started several years ago," said the head of the families’ organization. "I hope a dream I saw last night about my sister returning home comes true."

Japan officially lists 17 people as "abducted" in the 1970s and 1980s by North Korea.

Five were repatriated in Oct. 2002 following landmark talks in Pyongyang between late North Korean leader Kim Jong Il and then-Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi.

But no major progress has since been reported.

Japan and North Korea have no diplomatic ties, and Pyongyang has said the abduction issue has been solved.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın