Sudan’s opposition says army insincere about handover
Alliance accuses military of manoeuvring to avoid transition to civilian rule
Sudan’s main protest group and the Transitional Military Council traded accusations Tuesday over who is responsible for the failure to form a joint body to oversee the transition to civilian rule.
The Declaration of Freedom and Change Forces, an alliance of activists and opposition groups, has accused the military of maneuvering to avoid handing over power to civilians.
Addressing a press conference in Khartoum, Khalid Omer Youssef, general secretary of the opposition Sudanese Congress Party, said the military council is not serious in its talks with civilians.
“The army commanders want to delay and use the tactic of waiting while imposing its vision on us,” he said.
"We won’t abandon the sit-in in the square until we reach our great goals.”
Leading opposition member Madani Abas Madani meanwhile denied that the alliance has agreed with the military council on the removal of barricades on the streets surrounding the square in front of Sudan’s military headquarters in the capital Khartoum.
Mohamed Nagi Alasam, spokesman for the Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), said in the coming hours, the opposition would hand over its full proposal to the military council, including a list of names for the three levels of government -- the transitional council, cabinet and legislative assembly.
The military council has accused the opposition of not having a sufficient mandate from the protesters, which has led to a deadlock in negotiations between the two sides.
Sudan has been in turmoil since the military deposed long-serving President Omar al-Bashir earlier this month after months of protests against his three-decade rule.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.