By Hassan Isilow
South Africa’s prosecutors have issued an arrest warrant for former Zimbabwean First Lady Grace Mugabe, accused of assaulting a 21-year old woman in Johannesburg in 2017.
Mugabe, 53, reportedly assaulted Gabriella Engels at a hotel in Johannesburg using an electrical cord that left her with injuries on her forehead and the back of her head.
Kallie Kriel, chief executive officer of the minority rights group AfriForum, which filed a case against Mugabe, told media on Wednesday that the prosecutors had notified him of the arrest warrant issued for the former first lady.
“It seems justice is going to take place now. We are looking forward to this matter,” Kriel told reporters in Centurion near Pretoria.
Last year, Mugabe survived an arrest and flew out of South Africa after applying for
She now faces arrest if she sets foot in South Africa.
Engels had told the media that Mugabe assaulted her when she and a friend visited the former first lady’s sons at their hotel room in Sandton, a wealthy suburb of Johannesburg.
She said a bodyguard asked her and a friend to wait in a separate room, where the assault occurred.
"When Grace entered I had no idea who she was. She walked in with an extension cord and just started beating me with it," Engels said.
She claimed Mugabe had accused her of living with her sons. Mugabe had two sons who lived in South Africa at that time.