UN chief reiterates demand for immediate cease-fire 1 month after Gaza conflict began
'The Secretary-General remains extremely distressed by the killing of civilians in Gaza,' says spokesperson
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres reiterated his demand Tuesday for an immediate cease-fire Tuesday on the one-month mark since the conflict began in the Gaza Strip between Hamas and Israel.
Guterres’ spokesman, Stephane Dujarric, said the UN chief said there was no justification for the attack and again condemned the attacks by Hamas.
"He will never forget the horrendous images of civilians being killed and maimed and others being dragged away into captivity. He reiterates his appeal for their immediate and unconditional release," Dujarric said in a statement.
He conveyed Guterres' extreme distress concerning the deaths in Gaza that continue to rise under Israeli bombardment.
"The Secretary-General remains extremely distressed by the killing of civilians in Gaza and the humanitarian catastrophe that continues to unfold in Gaza, with an unimaginable toll on civilians," said Dujarric.
"He also reiterates his call for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire," he added.
The Gaza Strip has been under heavy bombardment since the Palestinian resistance group launched a surprise offensive against Israel last month.
At least 10,328 Palestinians, including 4,237 children and 2,719 women, have been killed. The Israeli death toll, meanwhile, is nearly 1,600, according to official figures.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.