NAIROBI, Kenya
Hundreds of South Sudanese refugees have continued streaming into Kenya despite a reported cessation of hostilities following an agreement between rebels and the South Sudan government.
At least 12,000 South Sudanese nationals had by Saturday crossed into Kenya and were being ferried to Kakuma, a refugee camp in North Western Kenya near the two countries' border.
Kenyan officials announced Thursday that approximately 11,000 had crossed into Kenya from South Sudan but said more were still streaming in.
"We continue to receive many South Sudanese crossing into the country, and over the last two days hundreds of them have crossed the border into Kenya," Ekure Peter, a Kenyan living near the border told Anadolu Agency by phone.
Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta had urged both sides to comply with the peace agreement at a summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The rebels and the South Sudan government on January 23 signed the Cessation of Hostilities (COH) and the Status of Detainees agreements in Addis Ababa.
President Kenyatta received seven of eleven detainees released by the South Sudanese government in Nairobi on Wednesday and expressed hope that the remaining four would be released soon to promote reconciliation.
The next round of peace talks begins February 7, according to the Chairman of the IGAD Special Team on South Sudan, Seyoum Mesfin.
South Sudan has been shaken by violence since mid-December, when President Salva Kiir accused Vice-President Riek Machar of being behind a failed coup attempt against his regime.
Following weeks of talks, the warring rivals signed an agreement last week calling for a cessation of hostilities.
The violence, however, has already claimed the lives of more than 10,000 people.
By William Oloo
englishnews@aa.com.tr