IAEA chief says Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant operating on sole remaining power line
Rafael Grossi says situation shows plant’s ‘continued vulnerability, persistent risks to nuclear safety’ amid Ukraine war
ISTANBUL
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Rafael Grossi said the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP) is operating on its sole remaining power line after losing its only backup line over a week ago.
“The situation underscores the plant’s continued vulnerability and the persistent risks to nuclear safety amid the conflict,” Grossi was quoted as saying by an IAEA statement on Thursday, saying the 330 kV Ferosplavna-1 backup power line disconnected from the facility on Feb. 10.
Noting that this power line was reportedly disconnected due to military activity near the 330 kV switchyard operated by the Zaporizhzhia Thermal Power Plant, the IAEA statement said the nuclear plant continues to rely on the 750 kV Dniprovska off‑site power line to sustain all essential nuclear safety functions.
It said that IAEA personnel stationed at the plant continue to request detailed information on the nature and extent of the damage, as well as seek access to the site’s switchyard to observe and assess any potential impact firsthand.
“However, access to this area has been denied to the agency’s teams for several years due to security restrictions,” the statement said, adding that while the timeframe for implementing necessary repairs remains unknown, Grossi has reached out to both Russia and Ukraine with a proposed ceasefire window to enable assessment and repairs.
The IAEA has previously facilitated four temporary ceasefire deals that allowed five separate repairs to power lines connected to the plant, it added.
The situation around the ZNPP, Europe’s largest and one of the world’s 10 biggest, particularly remains tense as concerns persist over a possible nuclear disaster involving Moscow and Kyiv, both of which have frequently accused each other of attacks around the facility.
Since Sept. 1, 2022, IAEA personnel have been present at the plant, which has been under Russian control since March 2022.
Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
