JERUSALEM
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said on Saturday that efforts aiming at bringing about ceasefire in the Gaza Strip had failed, Israeli media reported.
Speaking to journalists following a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the Israeli capital Tel Aviv, Fabius expressed concern that the failure of these efforts might open the door for more civilian casualties, Israel Radio said.
Netanyahu, meanwhile, slammed some international parties for likening the operations Israel stages "to defend itself" with the "violations" committed by the Gaza-based Palestinian resistance movement Hamas.
The French Foreign Minister has started a regional tour that has already taken him to Egypt and Jordan so far.
He said earlier that Israel had the right to live as a country, adding that rocket attacks against the country cannot be accepted.
He also expressed support for a ceasefire initiative proposed by Egypt earlier. The initiative was approved by Israel, but it was turned down by Hamas.
Since July 7, Israel has been pounding the Gaza Strip, home to some 1.8 million Palestinians, with crippling air and naval bombardments with the ostensible aim of halting rocket fire emanating from the strip.
On Thursday night, Israel stepped up its offensive to include ground operations, sending troops into the embattled coastal enclave.
Israel's military operation, dubbed operation "Protective Edge," is the self-proclaimed Jewish state's third major offensive against Gaza in the last six years.
At least 341 Palestinians have been killed and nearly 2560 injured in relentless Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip, according to Palestinian health officials.
By Alaa Rimawi
www.aa.com.tr/en