Turkiye, archive

Taksim Gezi Park protests left 12 injured with 63 detainees

Istanbul governor said 12 were injured and 63 were detained in protests against demolition of Taksim Gezi Park

31.05.2013
Taksim Gezi Park protests left 12 injured with 63 detainees

Istanbul

Istanbul

Governor of Istanbul Huseyin Ayni Mutlu said Friday that 12 were injured and 63 were detained in protests against the demolition of Taksim Gezi Park. 

Mutlu, speaking in a press conference blamed a group among protesters of "provocation and exploiting the protest for their own political agenda."    

He noted a woman who had suffered a head injury underwent a surgery and she was still at intensive care unit.

Mutlu said one journalist was among those injured by trauma and tear gas, adding that the journalist's was in good condition. 

He also said that police had detained 63 people.  

Also speaking at the press conference, Istanbul Mayor Kadir Topbas emphasized the demolition in Taksim Gezi Park was not related to a project to construct a shopping mall there but it was a part a wider renovation project of the Taksim Square. 

Riot police routed protestors at Taksim Gezi Park in Istanbul on Friday by using tear gas and pressurized water in a sit-in against the demolition of the park and uprooting of the trees.

In the intervention, some protestors were injured. Medical teams arrived on the scene and treated them.

A woman with head injury was taken to hospital. Her condition was critical.

Within the scope of the Taksim pedestrianization project, approved by the government in February 2012, the Gezi Park walls facing the Elmadag area were demolished by construction workers on Monday night. Shortly after, a group of protesters came to the park to prevent further uprooting of the trees and demolition of walls.

Earlier, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan commented on the protests by saying that the government had made its decision and there would be no U-turn.

Also on Friday an administrative court in Istanbul ordered stay of execution on a project to construct a shopping mall as part of the plans to renovate Gezi Park.

Interior Minister Muammer Guler said earlier that an investigation would be launched into claims of "disproportionate use of force" on protestors.  

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın