Turkey

Turkey moves to shutter hundreds of Gulenist schools

More than 600 institutions linked to the FETO terrorist organization, blamed for last week's failed coup, to be closed

Diyar Güldoğan   | 20.07.2016
Turkey moves to shutter hundreds of Gulenist schools

Ankara

By Selma Kasap

ANKARA

Turkey has begun the process of shutting down hundreds of schools and other institutions administered by Gulen movement in the wake of last week’s failed coup, an Education Ministry source said Wednesday.

The source, who spoke to Anadolu Agency on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on speaking to the media, said a total of 626 institutions, including 524 private schools and 102 other institutions such as dormitories and test preparation centers, will be closed down by the ministry.

Legal proceedings have been taken against institutions that have links to the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) on charges of "crimes against the constitutional order."

Turkey has also suspended more than 21,738 teachers amid the nationwide FETO investigation.

Turkey's government has said the attempted coup was organized by followers of U.S.-based cleric Fetullah Gulen, who is accused of a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through infiltrating Turkish state institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary, forming a “parallel state.”

At least 240 people, including members of the security forces and civilians, were martyred during the failed putsch, and nearly 1,500 others were wounded as they protested it.

*Diyar Guldogan contributed to this report from Ankara.


Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın