By Mohamed el-Samei
The families of 10 Yemeni journalists abducted and detained in Sanaa by the Houthi Shia militia said their sons have disappeared following an 18-day hunger strike.
“As we waited for the release of our sons who had been on hunger strike for 18 days, we are surprised by their disappearance,” the families said in a joint statement late Thursday. “The [health] condition of our sons has deteriorated by the day, while the Houthis are still torturing and threating them.”
The families held the Houthis responsible for the lives and safety of their sons. They demanded their release and have asked that they be transferred to a hospital for treatment.
They have also called on the international community, the UN envoy to Yemen and the Yemeni government’s delegation, which is participating in the Kuwait peace talks, to save the missing journalists.