World, Middle East

Palestinian killed, dozens injured in W. Bank clashes

Palestinian teenager shot dead during clashes with Israeli troops near flashpoint West Bank city of Hebron

16.08.2016
Palestinian killed, dozens injured in W. Bank clashes Palestinian Ministry of health says palestinian man was killed by ISF during al-Fawar clashes

Palestinian Territory

By Anees Bagouthi 

HEBRON, Palestine  

A Palestinian teenager was shot dead by Israeli forces during clashes that erupted in the Israeli-occupied West Bank on Tuesday, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry.

"Mohamed Abu Hashhash, 17, was killed after being struck in the chest by a bullet fired by an Israeli sniper during clashes that occurred in the Al-Fawar refugee camp near the West Bank city of Hebron [Al-Khalil]," the ministry said in a statement.

Dozens of Palestinians were reportedly injured by Israeli gunfire, while a number of others suffered temporary asphyxia due excessive teargas inhalation.

In a statement, the Palestinian Red Crescent said at least 35 Palestinians had been injured by heavy ammunition fired by Israeli forces during the clashes.

"Another 55 were injured by rubber bullets or temporary asphyxia [due to teargas]," the Red Crescent added.

According to eyewitnesses, Israeli forces on Tuesday staged an incursion into the Al-Fawar refugee camp near Hebron, searching several homes and detaining at least one Palestinian.

Witnesses said the raid triggered clashes with stone-throwing Palestinians, who Israeli forces tried to disperse with rubber-coated bullets, teargas and heavy ammunition.

The Israeli authorities, for their part, have yet to comment on Tuesday’s clashes.

Israeli forces often stage incursions into Palestinian areas of the occupied West Bank on the pretext that they are searching for "wanted" Palestinians.

In a related development Tuesday, Israeli bulldozers razed eight Palestinian tinplate houses in the town of Seir north of Hebron, claiming they were built without permission, according to local residents.

The demolitions left more than 55 local residents -- including 27 children -- homeless, local witnesses said.

Anadolu Agency could not obtain immediate comment from the Israeli authorities regarding the reported demolitions.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın