Middle East

2 injured in missile attack by Yemen rebels on Saudi Arabia

Saudi air defense intercept another missile by Houthi rebels

24.01.2022
2 injured in missile attack by Yemen rebels on Saudi Arabia

ISTANBUL

Saudi Arabia on Monday said two people were injured in a ballistic missile attack by Houthi rebels in Yemen.

A missile struck a number of workshops in the southern Jazan region, Mohammad al-Hammadi, a spokesman for the Saudi Civil Defense, said in statements cited by the state news agency SPA.

Two Sudanese and Bengali residents were injured in the attack, he said.

Meanwhile, Saudi air defense intercepted another missile fired by Houthi rebels towards the southern Asir province, the Saudi-led coalition said in a statement.

Material damage was reported in the attack.

Earlier on Monday, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) said it had intercepted and destroyed two ballistic missiles fired by Houthi rebels towards its territory.

Meanwhile, Turkiye condemned the attacks.

"We condemn the terror acts perpetrated on 24 January with ballistic missiles and drones against civilian targets in the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia," a Foreign Ministry statement said.

It further demanded such "attacks, which constitute a clear violation of international law, stop immediately." 

Houthi rebels, who overran much of Yemen in 2014, regularly carry out rocket and drone attacks on Saudi territories and recently on the UAE, saying they are a reaction to the Saudi-led coalition’s assault on Yemen.

The seven-year conflict in Yemen has caused one of the world’s worst man-made humanitarian crises, with nearly 80% or about 30 million people needing humanitarian assistance and protection, and more than 13 million in danger of starvation, according to UN estimates.

*Writing by Ahmed Asmar

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın