gaza, archive

Death toll from Israel's Gaza onslaught rises to 1893

"The toll rose after two bodies were retrieved from under the rubble and 2 others succumbed to their wounds," a ministry spokesman told Anadolu Agency.

07.08.2014
Death toll from Israel's Gaza onslaught rises to 1893

GAZA CITY 


The Palestinian death toll from a month-long Israeli onslaught on the Gaza Strip rose to 1893, according to a Health Ministry spokesman.

"The toll rose after two bodies were retrieved from under rubble and two others succumbed to their wounds," ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qodra told Anadolu Agency on Friday.

He said the fatalities had included 432 children, 243 women and 85 elder people.

According to al-Qodra, some 9806 Palestinians have been injured in Israeli attacks, including 2979 children, 1903 women and 374 elders.

The Israeli offensive on the Gaza Strip came to a halt earlier this week under a three-day ceasefire brokered by Egypt that ended at 08:00am on Friday.

According to Israeli figures, at least 64 Israeli soldiers have been killed in battles with Palestinian fighters in the Gaza Strip. Three civilians have also been killed by rocket fire.

Palestinian factions and Israel held indirect talks in Cairo to reach a long-term ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, but no agreement was reached as Palestinian factions linked the truce to Israel's approval of their demands, including lifting a years-long blockade on the Gaza Strip and the creation of a seaport.

The Gaza Strip, home to 1.8 million Palestinians, has been reeling under a crippling Israeli blockade since 2006, badly affecting the livelihood in the seaside enclave.

By Ola Attalah

englishnews@aa.com.tr

http://www.aa.com.tr/en

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın