At least five people were killed after a man with a bow and arrow went on a rampage near the Norwegian town of Kongsberg late Wednesday, police said.
In a statement, police said two people, including an off-duty police officer, were also injured who are undergoing treatment at the hospital.
According to the press release, the 37-year-old attacker, who was arrested by security forces, is a Danish citizen living in Kongsberg has been charged with murder.
Police inspector Oyvind Aas called the attack "very serious" and said that more details on the course of events will be shared later.
Fredrik Neumann, the defense counsel of the person charged, told public broadcaster NRK that he met with his client at 5 a.m. local time (0300GMT), and would help the police with the investigation.
Later in news briefing in Tonsberg, police confirmed the victims were four women and one man, all between the ages of 50 and 70.
“The police are investigating to provide the best answers possible to the questions of what happened," said police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud.
He added that police had "previously been in contact with the man, also as a result of concerns that he had become radicalized."
Police said that the "major operation" to apprehend the perpetrator received extensive assistance from different security units, as well as emergency medical personnel and firefighters.
*Writing and contribution by Ahmet Gencturk, Gozde Bayar and Dilan Pamuk in AnkaraAnadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.