Europe

16 Greek nationals, family members evacuated from besieged Gaza Strip

Evacuees scheduled to fly to Greece soon, says Foreign Ministry

Ahmet Gençtürk  | 02.11.2023 - Update : 02.11.2023
16 Greek nationals, family members evacuated from besieged Gaza Strip Rafah Border Gate

ATHENS 

Greece said that 16 people, including its nationals and their families, had been safely evacuated from the Gaza Strip on Thursday. 

The country's Foreign Ministry said the evacuees had crossed from Gaza to Egypt through the Rafah border crossing.

"Greek citizens and their family members are now in Egypt and will be scheduled to fly to Greece soon," it added.

According to Greece's state-run AMNA news agency, Egyptian officials said 400 foreign passport holders and 60 injured people were expected to cross into Egypt from Gaza on Thursday.

The Israeli army has expanded its air and ground attacks on the Gaza Strip, which has been under relentless airstrikes since a cross-border attack by Hamas on Oct. 7.

Nearly 10,600 people have been killed in the conflict, including 9,061 Palestinians and more than 1,538 Israelis.

Besides the large number of casualties and displacement, basic supplies are running low for the 2.3 million residents in Gaza due to the Israeli siege.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın