Indonesia to relocate survivors from cyclone-hit region
Over 160 people have died, 45 are missing, thousands rendered homeless since cyclone struck Indonesia last week
Indonesia is planning to relocate the survivors of recent flash floods in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) province, particularly the hard-hit Lembata regency, the country’s president said on Friday.
At least 163 people have been killed, 45 more are missing, and thousands rendered homeless in Indonesia after a tropical cyclone made landfall last week, bringing torrential rain and triggering flash floods and landslides.
Dozens more have died and thousands more have had to flee their homes in neighboring East Timor.
President Joko Widodo said the relocation in NTT province will start as soon as area residents consent to the plan.
“We will proceed with the plan as soon as possible,” he said during a visit to Amakaka village in Lembata’s Ile Ape district.
According to Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency, Cyclone Seroja hit 21 regencies in NTT province and was the strongest among 10 tropical cyclones detected by the Tropical Cyclone Warning Center since 2008.
President Widodo conceded that conditions in the area were making it hard to find missing people.
He ordered officials to mobilize all requisite resources and use every possible method to speed up rescue efforts.
He urged ministers to ensure the availability of doctors, paramedics, and medicines, as well as fulfill all logistical needs of people evacuated from the impacted areas.
*Writing by Maria Elisa Hospita with Anadolu Agency’s Indonesian language serviceAnadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.