Asia - Pacific

Afghan government approves new annual security plan

Plan aims at improving security situation of cities, highways and to identify areas under threat, official statement says

Shadi Khan Saif   | 02.04.2019
Afghan government approves new annual security plan

KABUL, Afghanistan

Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani on Tuesday approved the annual security plan “Khalid” with evidently offensive posture in the wake of a robust insurgency entering 18th year, a statement said.

The decision came following a meeting with the president of his top security officials and advisers -- including Defense Minister Assadullah Khalid, Interior Minister Massoud Indrabi, and head of the spy agency National Directorate of Security (NDS) Masom Stanikzai and others.

“The Khalid Security Plan is aimed at improving the security situation of cities and highways, to identify areas under threat, security measures for the electoral process and better care and deployment of the forces”, the statement issued by the presidency said.

The Ministry of Defense had previously said the plan is in line with the new Defense Minister Asadullah Khalid’s slogan of eliminating the bastions of the Taliban.

The Civilian Protection Advocacy Group in the country announced on Tuesday civilian casualties increased three times to 484 -- 184 killed and 300 others wounded -- in March, compared to the previous month.

Last year saw the Taliban enter landmark face-to-face talks for peace with the U.S, however, the Kabul government is yet to be made part of these talks.

Amid the vague peace process, the end of winter and arrival of spring usually mean resumption of intense fighting season between the warring sides. The Taliban have so far not announced their so-called spring offensives.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın