US pauses certain foreign assistance programs to Gabon after military takeover
Interim measure consistent with steps taken by ECCAS, African Union and other international partners, says secretary of state
The US suspended certain foreign assistance programs to Gabon on Tuesday following last month's coup in the African nation.
"The U.S. government is pausing certain foreign assistance programs benefiting the government of Gabon while we evaluate the unconstitutional intervention by members of the country’s military," Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a statement.
"This interim measure is consistent with steps taken by the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS), the African Union and other international partners, and will continue while we review the facts on the ground in Gabon," Blinken said.
"We are continuing U.S. government operational activities in Gabon, including diplomatic and consular operations supporting U.S. citizens," he added.
On Aug. 30, a group of senior Gabonese army officers appeared on national television and announced that they had seized power and put President Ali Bongo under house arrest.
The move came shortly after the Gabonese Election Center confirmed that Bongo had officially won a third term as president with 64.27% of the vote.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.